North Alabama Airport Expanding

Jun 21, 2015

Pryor Field, Tanner, Ala.

A northern Alabama airport has plans for expansion and is looking to purchase more land.

Pryor Field, a regional airport serving the Decatur and Athens areas, has received a grant from the Federal Aviation Administration to purchase more than 22 acres northwest of the airport terminal. The FAA is donating nearly $650,000, which will cover 90% of the acquisition. The airport will cover the remaining 10%.

The Decatur City Council and Limestone County Commission approved the purchase last week. The airport's other co-owners, the Athens City Council and Morgan County Commission, will vote on the purchase in coming days. None of the four local governments will need to contribute any funding for the purchase.

Pryor Field General Manager Stan Smith says they're purchasing the additional land to allow for future growth, and to avoid being landlocked. The airport's plans for the property include additional private and corporate hangars and facilities for other aviation businesses.